Pages

About Me

My photo
The Bible says that those who hunger for righteousness will be filled. This blog aims to provide fodder for that hunger: to share, inspire and challenge Christians about their faith and relationship with God.

Monday 21 March 2011

Peace

I've been trying to think of scripture more. After all, the Bible does say to 'meditate on it day and night'. And since the Hebrew word for 'meditate' is to 'mutter to oneself' (or thereabouts), I've tried to think aloud on it, and mull over it. It's better than some of the other rubbish I tend to think about!


I've been returning to John 14:27 the last few days:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.






I thought it was cool when I realised:

  • 'my peace': Jesus has offered us HIS peace. His unflappable serenity and assurance that everything is OK, even when the world goes crazy
  • 'i give you': it's a gift. I can choose to receive it.
  • 'not...as the world gives': the world offers a fleeting, temporary peace. It's often very frail, and is lost quickly in the whirlwind of anxieties and uncertainty of living life on this earth.
  • 'Do not let...': fear is a choice
'Peace' in the Greek is eirēnē. See the Blue Letter Bible for its definition.
From that, I came up with this:

rosperity

xemption from havoc

ssurance/security
hrist's
ternal salvation

With all the stuff happening in the world today, we need Christ's peace more than ever. Teach us to walk in your peace, Lord, so that the world will know you live.

No comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...