Pages

About Me

My photo
The Bible says that those who hunger for righteousness will be filled. This blog aims to provide fodder for that hunger: to share, inspire and challenge Christians about their faith and relationship with God.

Saturday 3 March 2012

The Authentic Christ Follower

OK I'm not meant to be on the computer. I'm supposed to be resting my arms that have been typing all day. My physio would not be happy - but here's some things that's been rattling around my heart for a while: authentic discipleship and returning to your first love. I'll talk about a part of the first one today.

A few days ago, I picked up a book called Apprenticeship with Jesus by Gary W. Moon. Gary's words distilled some thoughts that had hung around for some time: consistent, daily change and transformation is the mark of a true follower of Christ. Wasn't it Smith Wigglesworth who said that if a Christian is not going forward, he is sliding backwards?

Apprenticeship is used as an analogy to discipleship in Gary's book. In my mind, apprentices are always learning and changing everyday. Sure, some changes are more gradual: skill takes time to be honed, and character changes like the shift of the afternoon sun - by the time you've noticed that the shadows are longer, you have missed the point of transformation.

I believe that any student on an intensive vocational course would be making changes everyday whether passively or actively. They would also be picking up new skills, better ways to do things, learning about new instruments, becoming more like the Master - both consciously and unconsciously. An apprentice would not be called a good one if they learned some days but failed to learn anything at all on most other days, yet most Christians - myself included - often find ourselves like that.

Please don't take me wrong. I'm not talking about an amazing change everyday. Life's just not like that! But spiritual growth, and the related changes should be happening in our lives more often than every once in a while, and consistently. Such changes should also be long lasting, not just lasting for the holiday periods of Easter and the New Year!

It just strikes me as horribly wrong to be under the tutelage of the Master of the Universe and fail to be irrevocably touched by it - it's not possible...unless you've been wagging your classes!

If Jesus were to come back today, would He call you a faithful servant? What are the obstacles that stop you from truly following Jesus? Who are you really - in private? Is it the same as your public self, or is it a persona you put on display? Is this person you display the same in Church as well as at a party?

I've asked myself - or God has asked me through my thoughts - all these questions. Far from feeling worthless and ready to give up, one should feel convicted to the point of seeking God earnestly. This is the reaction I hope you come to.

Each day is a classroom, everyday has its new lessons as well as its moments to hone something we've learnt previously. If we all thought that being a follower of Christ meant following Him into Heaven while we continue with our lives the way we want, we're asking for a very painful wake-up call - either here on Earth by the mercy of God, or when we stand at the Judgement Throne by our blindness and wilful disobedience. I know which one I'd rather have.

Dear Heavenly Father, in the Name of Jesus, give me the teachable, willing heart of a faithful student who loves to hear and learn from you. I want to be the kind of Christian that brings a smile to your heart, who is the real deal -- in other words, to be like Your Son -- not just in character but in deed, in palpable righteousness, and in power. 
Don't let me settle for the counterfeit Christianity that takes your mercy and my salvation for granted, then has nothing to show for its faith. Give me the grace to see the opportunities, and the ability to seize them before they slip away. Please be my Teacher each day. Change my heart! Make me more like you. I will incline my ear to you, and set my heart to obey. Amen



No comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...