Pages

About Me

My photo
The Bible says that those who hunger for righteousness will be filled. This blog aims to provide fodder for that hunger: to share, inspire and challenge Christians about their faith and relationship with God.

Monday 11 July 2011

Hillsong

I think I have to do some repenting.


The last time I attended a Hillsong service many years ago, I was full of scepticism but ended up so blessed that I concluded, "we each have our anointings and God has given Hillsong a very powerful anointing that is most evidently from God. I can't knock it."







Before I went to this conference, I was worried that it would be too hyped and not give the refreshing that I, and so many other delegates would be needing. This was based on a letter about the JAM program designed for the highschool aged kids. It went on a lot about 'THE EXPERIENCE' but the program was really about sending the kids to a theme park... fun is all good but the fun in itself does not bring them closer to God. Teaching them and bringing them into experience with the real thing is what truly ignites their passion for Him. I've seen Sunday Schools where the kids are on their knees in true awe of the Living God, and they are prophesying and laying hands on the sick and see results.






I believe it's never too young to learn that heaven and God is real, then work in partnership with God to see it outworked through their own hands and lips. Purpose and power with the heart of God would jump-start anyone's life. Theme parks don't. But I do know that my brother listened to the first few sessions and couldn't hold concentration after that -- and that would be approximately the time for them to leave for their activities...so maybe it was a good thing.


As for the rest of my experience, I encountered inspirational, spirit-filled preaching that really refreshed my soul. I've come away inspired, encouraged, hope refreshed knowing that I am part of a pretty big family! That was nice.


Hillsong determines to excel in all they do, and they actually do. Maybe they did emphasise a bit more on performance (if at all), but if they did, God has been doing some beautiful things in them. God's hand is on them, and again, I must say, "their anointing is strong. God is with them. I can't knock them." In the first session, I asked God, "what do you think?" in reference to their authenticity but He surprised me by saying simply, "LEARN." I hope I have.


The worship was wonderful too, especially that lead by Jesus Culture. Their songs and music don't really grab me - but their hunger for the presence of God and being willing to press in deeper did; so many others are either happy to stick to their program, or they don't know how to press in. God's presence was so strong, and their hunger so evident, so raw, so simple. They weren't there for fame - they were there to inspire others into deeper relationship with Him. I identified with that and applauded it. Your will be done, Lord!


I also met some people from around the world who encouraged me even though I had only just met them! There was a guy who encouraged my song writing and gave some advice I mean to carry out as soon as I have the chance. Then there was a girl I met while we were standing in a crushing line of people waiting for the doors to open for the final session. She was from the Philipines who worked in Music Production in her church in the Philipines. She spoke some words over my life, and although I couldn't hear all of it, I was so encouraged to know that someone I barely knew cared enough to speak sincerely and prophetically. It was beautiful!


So now I'm back spiritually refreshed. But my body is exhausted! Over the next few days, I'll share some notes from the sessions at Hillsong, and what God showed me during it. Let me know if you are encouraged!


By the way - Sydney is a beautiful city. Here are some of the photos we took in our trips there:

Gap Bluff, Sydney Harbour National Park

Watson's Bay, looking towards Sydney:

Circular Quay

Darling Harbour - balloon in water:

Darling Harbour:

Room:

No comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...